Friday, February 13, 2009

progress

I thought I'd take a moment to celebrate having come to some milestones in my life. For some years I have worked on several projects that are coming to fruition.

I started building my home in 1998, getting it out of the ground and under roof and dried in by the end of that year. I have been slowly working on it ever since as time and money and energy allowed. While I may never completely finish it, I have come to a point I have been looking forward to for many years. I am putting trim on, giving the rooms a much more finished look.

On another important front, I have put as much ground under cultivation as I feel I need and want. I'm about through with busting sod. There's plenty of work to do on the land I have already claimed.

I have a warm, comfortable studio set up in my home that I can access most any time. Doing art work and playing music have become regular activities.

The dogs I raised from puppies are almost ready to breed. They are beautiful, intelligent and delightful dogs and I look forward to seeing their offspring.

There are many areas of my life that are a work in progress, as I hope it always will be. I am grateful to have come this far with some of the projects that have meaning for me. I can't even begin to express the significance of friends and family in my life. The material accomplishments pale in comparison.

My family is far flung and has had it's share of emotional distance. In the past year relationships have strengthened and improved, estrangements have been healed and I am hopeful of renewed love and increased contact.

If this is the accruing of the benefits of maturity, bring it on, I embrace it fully. I am more content in retirement than I can remember ever being before. Yes, there is still much that I can long for, much to do, much to look forward to, much to learn, much to share. I'm not done yet. Many tasks remain, projects are ongoing, relationships, houses, gardens, and dogs require maintenance. It is satisfying to take stock and realize that progress has been made. Onward.....

5 Comments:

Blogger colleen said...

It sounds ideal. Simple and real. All the components coming together after years of laying the groundwork.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Chris, congratulations to you on your very impressive accomplishments. I am truly filled with awe and admiration to know that you built your own house. Wow. And it gives me hope to hear that you have healed some of the broken relationships in your family. How wonderful! I am estranged from some of my extended family, and while some of it is by choice (and self-preservation), there are others that I miss keenly. So it's encouraging to read that. And thanks for your wonderful comment on my blog---it was lovely.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice to see you a bit over a week ago. We all enjoyed the music very much! It's great to still be climbing hills, isn't it? I'll never forget my Mother, close to death, saying, "I'm not finished yet!" I don't understand folks who are stuck in a rut - there is so much to explore and wonder about out there!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Karen Gimbel said...

Chris - truly great to visit your blog, your world, and hear your sense of accomplishment. You deserve that, and I'm so glad for you! You life in the boonies, with friends to give you rides to town, your dogs, your garden, your art, your music... sounds so rich and full. Keep up the great work. It's not over til it's over... and even then it's probably not over. :D

4:55 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Hey, thanks for coming to my blog and sending good wishes for my mother.

Your life sounds nice. So it's taking some time to get that house done? I just saw a show on the Home & Garden channel where the guy has been building his house for something like thirty years! Talk about a labor of love.

I'd love for you to check out my blog again. I usually write about topics, while not more important than what's going on with my mother, surely more interesting to others. I just posted a story about how my neighbors almost ran me over while I was riding my horse.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home