Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Back by popular demand!

It was so nice to get comments from folks encouraging me to post "something!".....so here goes. It's a sad tale, and I'm not surprised that I start with a sad tale. I play guitar and sing and I've got one of the biggest "bummer" tune lists. But I sing them because the lyrics touch me, like singing the blues to deal with the blues. Or experiencing a near death experience that reminds you in a big way of the sweetness of life.

I commented on Beth's blog post of lovely pictures and words of a couple of doves. Her pictures inspired this memory. It is a sad story, you were warned.

I used to have a clothing shoppe at Scarborough Renaissance Faire in Texas, in the spring. Down the lane from my shop was a rose sellers shop. The rose seller had a cage with two doves in it. They were a mated pair, named Romeo and Juliet, bad idea those names.

Anyway, one fine faire day, there are thousands of patrons about the lanes, I’m doing business as usual when I hear a blood curdling scream. Seems a snake has made it’s was into the doves’ cage and is swallowing Romeo. The cage door was opened and Juliet escaped. Romeo oh Romeo, dead and gone.

For several days after, poor Juliet sat around in the trees and mourned, singing the saddest dove songs. She avoided capture, didn’t seem to be eating, she only sang her sad songs. One morning she threw herself on the ground in front of a bird killing cat who promptly put her out of her misery. Thus ends the tale of Romeo and Juliet.

So there is "something" and I plan to wander back here from time to time. And next time I won't copy and paste half the entry. :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I'm so glad you're back Chris! You AND Beth! I read that dove story on her blog. Wow. That was sad.

You got me thinking about music. I love sad music, broken-hearted love songs, the blues. I don't know if you're familiar with this song, but my father called me up tonight and said, "Hey, listen to this:" He put the phone down and turned up the record player. He was playing old 45's. "Make the World Go Away," started playing. That's one of my favorite songs. We were both crying together... thinking of my mother. It feels good to cry.

7:45 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

Is it mean that I want to laugh? Maybe it's just the WAY you told it.

5:13 PM  
Blogger chris youngblood said...

I know that song, "Make The World Go Away" and I kind of feel like that right now. My best dog died, one of my best friends died and I need a lot of dental work. But I'll want to engage again soon I know. Gotta live while we have the chance.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your dog and one of your best friends! And then you need dental work on top of it. Let's think of a happy song: "Wonderful World." Because we wouldn't be so sad about losing the people and animals we love if they weren't so wonderful to begin with.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hooray, you're back! Sorry not to visit sooner---I haven't been on the computer much 'til yesterday. I wanted to spend time with my kids last week when they were home.

I'm so glad you shared this story, Chris---it is truly amazing. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a tough time of it lately. I've lost best friends---both two-legged and four-legged and I sure as heck can relate to needing expensive dental work (which is why I'm missing a number of crucial teeth), so I can understand your sadness. I will say prayers for you if you don't mind---for peace and comfort and the means to fix your teeth. I could use a few prayers (or good thoughts) myself, if you're so inclined.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I didn't really see this as so sad and tragic but so loving and important.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home