Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reading/Bears/Blogs and Simple Things

Been reading about bears. Yes, they are shy, so more singing when walking alone I say. I heard there are thousands of black bears in VA and there has never been an unprovoked bear attack. My friend Vera saw one the other day, it skedaddled as soon as they saw each other. She commented about how so very black they are, like they absorb all the light hitting them. And how fluid and fast they are, far faster than any dog, bigger than dogs too.

So I've calmed down about the bears, maybe I won't see any more this year, maybe I will. But I'm adopting the attitude that they are my friends, and I am blessed to see them.

One could spend a lifetime reading blogs written by older artistic women who have led interesting lives and are making astute comments on all that they see. And some of these people, usually women, see a lot. I began following the blogrolls of some of my favorite bloggers and quickly found enough fascinating writing to wear me out. These are the people you would have as neighbors could you pick your neighbors. I'm thankful for the internet for introducing me to these people.

But by comparison, and there's the rub, comparison usually not a good idea, my life seems so very simple. It is simple.

I often feel like my day is made by something as simple as noticing that the little green and white ground cover that came into my perennial bed from my mother's garden with another plant, has spread and is blooming it's little head off. It makes a lovely cut flower that stays nice for days. So what in the grand scheme of things does it matter if I notice this thriving ground cover? It matters to me that in that moment I was present to that moment. Is that enough? Enough for who?

You see why I don't post often. This is how many of my musing go. I have questions, not so many answers.

5 Comments:

Blogger colleen said...

Nice. I love to learn how people's minds work and I'm always amazed at how alike we all are and how we don't tend to talk about half the stuff we think about.

6:12 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I'm so glad our paths have crossed in the blogger world. I will enjoy reading your archives.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Did you see the picture of the bear swimming in Smith Mountain Lake on the front of The Laker?

I need to be more present in the moment. That's very good.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I think there is something very profound in your taking pleasure in that green and white ground cover. Just yesterday, I looked out the window and saw a Carolina Wren on the porch railing. I took utter delight in the rather manic way he hopped about and cocked his head and the pertness of his little tail, so much so that I laughed out loud. The older I get, the more I like simple. One of my favorite Bible verses is this one: "...God has chosen the simple things of the world to confound the wise...and the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty."

I wish you would post more often---I like hearing your thoughts.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Shrinky said...

You see, I find it MAGICAL to think of you living somewhere so exotic as to have real live bears romping out in the wild. What may be commonplace to you, is truly, stunningly amazing to me!

And I love your "rambles", you write so well and honestly, I sincerely enjoy every line. I have recently concluded it's not the frequency of which we post, more the content that matters. In this case, take as long as you need - I for one, am happy to wait to savour any fresh offering you may deliver (smile)..

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home